Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Spirit Healer

I love watching inspirational movies about people who, despite all odds, refuse to give up. Their spirit refuses to be broken. They keep going. Somehow, something inside will not give up. I've known people with physical disabilities that were the happiest people and the greatest joy to be around. Their spirit sustained them.

A person's spirit is not easily broken. We all go through stages of melancholy or even depression. But to break a person's spirit takes something truly catastrophic. Sometimes it is a sudden occurrence, and sometimes it is a series of events from which we have not been able to recover. A broken spirit can no longer see any sign of hope.

My heart hopes that you will never experience the darkness of a broken or wounded spirit. However, most of us either already have suffered through it, are currently going through it, or will at some point. 

I have been there. It is so much deeper than a heart hurt. It causes you to not even be able to feel your heart. Your whole world seems colorless, tasteless, pointless. You go through the motions and wonder why? You wonder if God sees you at all, or are you completely invisible? It is a scary place to be. 

During the time I was going through this, I had people ask me what was wrong, what could they do to help, etc. I could not articulate what was going on inside of me. There was so much hurt, confusion, anger, and uncertainty that I didn't feel I could trust anyone enough to share how I was feeling. I truly thought God was through with me. 

Despite all of my feelings, God was there. He did see me, and surprisingly enough, I believe now that he led me to that place of brokenness. While you may think that God would be cruel to have done so, let me explain why I believe this to be. I had to learn a lesson. I had to understand that despite what people do, despite what I do, and despite what happens on this earth, God  is good. GOD is good, and is the ONLY source of goodness. When people separate themselves from God, they are separating themselves from any goodness. Man always has and always will fail, and cause pain to each other. Any time I looked for guidance, acceptance, or fulfillment solely from a person, I was hurt, confused, disappointed, frustrated, etc. I had to learn that I NEEDED God. I had to come to a heart understanding that I need Him above all else, and that he alone could give the guidance, acceptance, and fulfillment that I needed. I HAD to break. 

If you are currently struggling with a broken spirit, let me encourage you to pray. Seek Him as your source of peace, love, acceptance, fulfillment, and anything else that you feel is missing from your life right now. No matter how alone in your pain you may feel, please know in your heart that he is there. He wants to heal you. All you have to do is take that first step and ask!

1 comment:

  1. It's true...human efforts fail no matter the intent. We often expect much more than any other person can fulfill. But God is faithful! He does NOT fail. He's given so much more and is still waiting to give so much more than we can ever imagine...if we seek Him. With our whole heart. Only then can we know this true joy, peace, and security.

    ReplyDelete