Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Smile!

Today started off very differently from most other days. My husband had to catch a flight that was to leave at 6:00 this morning. For some reason his alarm did not go off and he awoke in a panic. He was going to take himself to the airport, but since he was running late, he would not have had time to park and pay and all of that. So, he told me to get ready as soon as possible to take him. Have I told you that I am not a morning person? Ya. On my way back from the airport, I stopped to get some doughnut holes that I have literally been dreaming about for the past two nights now. I don't think any of that is really relevant to what I am about to say, but there it is anyway!

When I got home, I ate my doughnuts, played a bit on the guitar, and then was suddenly overcome with sleepiness. I took an hour nap (more or less) and then made a list of the things that I must get accomplished today. 

I was leaving the parking lot of my first stop of the day, and was pleasantly surprised by the homeless man that was standing on the corner. He was smiling as big as he could to everyone who passed by and was holding this sign (pictured). I smiled at him, and I thought that was all I could give him, until I looked down and saw a dollar. I told him he he had encouraged me, thanked him, and handed him the dollar. 

I drove off with the most blessed and humbled feeling. How often have I driven past those less fortunate and tried to ignore that they were there? This guy was giving what he could to those who passed- his smile. If we have nothing else in the world to give to someone, remember, we can always give a smile. It is such a small thing, but you never know how powerful it can be. It certainly brightened my day!

1 comment:

  1. It is way too often that we overlook those around us. We miss out on blessings that way.

    ReplyDelete